Thread: Boxster vs. RX8
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
23109VC

Boxster vs. RX8

just trying to get some additional opinions.

I'm in the market for a third car. I'm married, three kids. I have a nice/new SUV for my wife to drive around w/kids and for our weekend trips as a family. I have an old but nice daily driver that is well maintained and paid off. it is a larger sedan and actually can fit everyone.

I'm in the market for a third car for ME for FUN. I have driven the boxster and love it. I drove an s2000 and did NOT like it. I test drove an rX8 and thought it was great too.

for about what it would cost me to get a used 2000 boxster base with 75k miles, I can almost get a 2006 rx8 with 15-20 miles. rx8s, with their horrid gas mileage - are not in high demand and they are NOT selling. new ones are goign for $8k off MSRP....

the rx8 has those little seats in the back which are kind of neat - with small kids, I could take one or two of them with me and use the 8 for short trips and still get to drive a fun car. I think the 8 would get more usage as a daily driver as it is somewhat more practical.

The stock 8 is kind of softly sprung. I'd wind up putting shocks/springs and probably an intake/exhaust on it too. they sound great. not as good as a boxster, but good. power wise, they are more powerful than the base model boxsters I'mlooking at, but have less torque. to me, the boxster feels faster due to it's higher torque...but i think if ou had them both flat out ona track, the rx8 might edge out the base boxster? i have no idea,that's just my guess.

the rx8 would have a warranty as it's a 2006 model. mazda has also extended the warranty to 8yr/100k miles on the motor. the boxster would be off warranty and I'd be paying repairs/upkeep and be on the hook for IMS if it ever happened...knock on wood..

the boxster looks way more classy. i'm 36, gov't atty workign for the county. i'm not a slave to image...lots of my coworkers drive pieces of junk and wouldn't even notice if i drove up in a 911TT - but I do like the idea of somethign "classy" looking. i would NOT drive an EVO/STi partly because i do not want the boy racer image. the rx8, to me, does not look boy racerish. it looks like an affordable japanese sports car, kind of like a Z, but not ricey.

the one i am interested in has the OEM body kit/spoiler and looks somewhat aggressive.

i have NOT driven a boxster / RX8 back to back.

I KNOW one is a convertible and one is a 4 door/couple 2+2... apples/oranges.

i really like the fact that the boxster is a convertible, but my main goal is to get a FUN car. both the boxster and rx8 have light tossable characteristics, with great shifters. i want something light, that i can take to work, and have fun as i row through the gears, but also take out on an occasional saturday morning for a fun drive on a twisty road. i likethe idea of having hte top down while i do it, but i also like the idea of having back seats so i can take my 6 year old with me...

a 911 would be the best of both worlds - back seats, pcar class/engine sound - but most 996's are out of my price range. i really need to be closer to 20k.

i maybe could get a used 996 if i wanted 6-12 montsh to save moremoney or for used car prices to tank even harder.

i kind of see an rx8 as a poor mans 911.

part of me wants to just go for the boxster. it's the car that I know I would have more FUN in. i'm also nervous about costs of upkeep and repairs, while the rx8 would be under warranty and motor repaldemens would be on mazda until 100k.

i haven't seen any CPO boxsters for $20k. most are closer to 30k..even the 986's that are CPO.

any of you drive around in rx8s. feel they are similar to the boxster? far inferior?

thanks for any constructive comments, ideas, etc.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote