View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
ejmc11

Lots o' questions - RS 60s, options discounts, 2009 models, CD Changer, and more!

Hi folks,

Haven't been around this site in a long time since I got my Boxster, as I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever -- until 2 weeks ago, when a woman driving a Prius turned left when she didn't have a green arrow, right into the driver's side of my car at about 30mph or so. The result is in the attached photo. I'm just thankful that I was driving such a well-built car, as I could be in a lot worse shape than I am now (and that is not very good shape at all, taking that big of a hit has a big impact on your health.. but that's a much longer story which is of little interest to a Boxster forum!) The car is currently with the body shop, which informed me that there is structural damage to the A pillar and to the floor, so it's almost certainly going to be declared a total loss.

I've been thinking long and hard about what kind of car I want to move into, and I can't think of anything better than the 987 platform. I went in to the dealer today to inquire about the 2009 models, but I spotted an RS 60 with the black top and dark gray leather, and it's got me seriously considering it... so, a couple of q's:

* I originally got 8% off of MSRP when I ordered my '07 Boxster S with just Bose and Xenon as options in December '06, took delivery in May '07, from Fred Baker in Ohio. What is a reasonable discount considering that the 2009's are just around the corner, and this car is already on the lot?

* Does the dealer have more leeway on discounting options vs. the base car? The car I'm considering has almost $6k of options I don't care about (PCM, heated seats, automatic climate control, sport chrono, cd changer, etc), for a total price of just under $74k. Pricing the car as I want online, I come to $68k. Would it be reasonable to try to deduct the cost of all those options I don't care for, and then take at least 8% off the price?

* Does the CD changer take up room in the front trunk, or is it hidden under the plastic bits in there? (I didn't think to check this when I was at the dealer)

* Other than the DFI and improved PCM with touchscreen and iPod integration, any other big changes to 2009 that would be worth waiting for (besides the mild re-design, which isn't necessarily a plus!)

* Are the RS 60's only 2008 models, or are they also being sold as 2009 models? I can't find a clear answer anywhere on the 'net.

And for those of you who haven't yet heard the sport exhaust.. it's *nice*. Sounds really mean, no weird "burbles" as I've heard on a lot of aftermarket exhausts when the revs come down and get close to idle.

Thanks for any and all input! It felt *so* good to drive a Porsche again after dealing with rental cars the last few weeks, can't wait to be back "home".