View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
Jump

From what I've seen, the hit against low mileage Boxsters because they may be more prone to IMS/RMS failure is nothing but pure conjecture. There is absolutely no hard evidence to this claim. It is nothing more than a hit or miss situation. Whether you drive it daily or not is absolutely irrelevant. A car is not like the human body where it has the potential to get better with use.

If I could add another twist to the discussion, I've read many threads recommending setting aside around $3000 per year for maintenance of higher mileage Boxsters. I've owned my 2002 S with 13k for 2 years now. I drive it a couple of times a week. My only expenses have been 2 oil changes. Assuming I make it another year with the same costs, I've saved $9000 over buying a higher mileage Boxster. If I'm not mistaken, this saves me just about enough to buy a new engine should I have an IMS failure in the future. It is all even. And then, I may never have those problems so that puts me way ahead! I'll take the lower mileage Box any day.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote