View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
tolum

Thumbs up Problem RESOLVE... See the facts

Guys; Sorry for my english, I'm a french canadian.

My crazy front, rear & glove box lights story is now at is end. Here are the details in case it happens to one of you. Front compartment(hood) light, rear compartment light(trunk) & Glovebox light(03-04 Boxster) are ON at the same time. It means when you open one of those three doors, the 3 lights turns on at the same time. Each of those doors have a microswitch that send Alarm box an individual open state (it's a N.C. contact). So they have each of them an input on the Alarm box for diagnosis purpose with Porsche computer. What you need to know is that the three lights gets there ON signal from the same output and not individual outputs. That's why if one of the microswitches, let say the one in the glove box failed and stays in a N.C. state (open) not only the light in the glove box will stay ON but the two others too! Does it will drain your battery? Not that fast because after 2 hours the Alarm box turn the lights off to protect the battery but if this N.C. state stays like that for long time, your battery will finally die. Remember that when both compartments and glovebox are closed, you can't see the light that stays ON and when you open one of them, it is normal that the light is ON so it's difficult to imagine that YES, the light stays on. How did I found out that my lights were ON with trunk, hood & glovebox closed, I took a reading on my battery that is 1 week new and found that voltage drops from 12.5 VDC to 11.75 VDC. Taking a MA reading between (-) of the battery and car frame shows me that my battery was in a draining process. Also, I did unplug the electrical harness from the hood electric hatch and the light stays on anayway!

Hope this will help you guys to appreciate your ''No substitute'' car!

Thierry Despaux
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote