View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #18
Mike_Yi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
No offense, fella (Really! Just curious!), but how does one take 7 hours to wash a vehicle (assuming it's not a 747 or a deuce and a half)??
Well, you start by moving the car out of the garage and into the driveway. Then you get all your stuff ready. Wet the car. Start at the top and begin washing. Wash the top, the windshield, back window, door windows and mirrors. Rinse. Rear spoiler is next. Rinse. Wet car to ensure it hasn't dried and left water spots. Hood. Left side front fender. Rinse. Left door. Rinse. Wet car. Right front fender. Rinse. Right door. Rinse and rewet car. Left rear fender. Rinse. Right rear fender. Rinse. Wet car. Rear deck and tail lights. Rinse. Rear bumper. Rinse. Wet car. Front bumper. Rinse. Front bumper. Rinse. Wet Car. Front bumper. (Does anybody know of a good way to see bug guts once you've started washing a car?) Rinse. Front Bumper. Rinse. Wet Car. Underside of hood. Rinse. Wet car. Engine bay. Rinse. Inside of right door. Rinse. Wet car. Insides of left door. Rinse. Inside of rear hatch. Rinse. Wet car. Rest for a minute.

Jack up the front end. Wet car. Remove both front wheels. Refill wash bucket. Wet car. Left inner fender, suspension and brakes. Rinse. Right inner fender, suspension and brakes. Rinse. Wet car. Left front wheel. Left front tire. Rinse. Wet car. Right front wheel. Right front tire. Rinse. Wet car. Left rear wheel and tire (pull them off tomorrow). Rinse. Right rear wheel and tire. Rinse. Wet car.

Dry the whole damn thing. Keep drying. Keep drying. Keep drying. Put the front wheels back on. Clean bucket and wheel brush. Move hose. Pull car very slowly (to avoid splashing any standing water) back into garage.

My right arm is sore. But she looks brilliant! I still need to clean all the wheels better, clean in the rear inner wheel wells and brakes, wipe it down with Z6, then put on a coat or two of Z5 tomorrow. Then, if I have time, I need to vacuum the interior and clean the inside of the windows. Not sure if I'll get it all done this week.

FWIW, the quickest I've ever washed it was about 3.5 hours, thought that was a pretty sloppy job. I washed the Boxster (with my wife's help) today in about 45 minutes. Needless to say, I didn't take as much care as I did with the other car.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote