View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
FrayAdjacent

Water pump failure??

So it figures, I had a second car (a Honda Fit) and JUST sold it which would have me driving my Boxster when I couldn't ride my motorcycle... The DAY after I sell my other car, the Boxster develops a problem.

Here's how it went down:

I drove to work today, and everything seemed fine. Top up, AC on, no issues. Operating temperature was at the usual level.

After work, I drive to a local IMAX theater downtown (2 miles or so from work) to check out a movie with coworkers. After that, I leave to go to a bier garten with said coworkers. Here is where it started:

Upon starting the engine and putting the top down at the theater, I hear something rattling. Sounds like a coke can, or something loose in the muffler. I drive the couple blocks to the bier garten, and the sound goes away. I look under the car and in both rear wheel wells, nothing out of place. A couple drips on the pavement. Doesn't smell like coolant (dabbed a finger in it).

Anyway... I start the drive home.. ~ 24 miles from where I was, mostly highway. I get about 12 miles into the drive, and the engine temperature is a little high. I have the top down and it's not too hot outside. I turn on the AC to get the fans going, and the temperature drops a little, but not much. Hit a red light, and the guy stopped next to me says I'm losing water or something. I start seeing smoke/steam. Pull to side of road and shut off engine. I can see a trail of coolant on the road. Crap. I'm about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from a gas station, so I start it up and start driving. Coolant light starts blinking, then my alternator (battery) light comes on. Crap!

SO... I'm thinking the water pump failed, then the belt failed.

Right now the car is at the aforementioned gas station (insurance roadside assistance called out a truck, but the towing company called and said their truck is fubar at the moment. ) I'm planning on having the car towed to my house so I can get it up on stands and check it out.

Any feedback? Sounds like a water pump failure? If it's the water pump and the belt, it doesn't look like it will hurt the wallet too much ($311 for the pump from Pelican... $35 for the belt).

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote