View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #12
jerhofer

I used to autocross a '84 944, ran an '83 944 track car for five years. owned a 1990 Miata, owned a S2000 and currently have a Boxster S. I also used to run an E-Production 356 and a '82 narrow body 911SC with a '89 breathed on Turbo motor in drivers education events.

While I haven't tracked or autocrossed the Boxster or the S2000, I have driven them both hard enough to get an idea of how they would perform.

You will find it pretty tough to beat the neutrality of the 944. You can get away with errors in a 944 that will bite you in a Boxster. I set up my 944 to have a bit of oversteer but the rear never snapped around like a Boxster will. It's a natural trait of a mid or rear engine car. The neutral handling of the 944 will allow the average driver to run it closer to the edge lap after lap without going over that edge. Once you have experience with rear or mid-engined cars, you can also run them on the ragged edge as well, but it sure takes a lot more concentration, skill, and balls to keep them on that edge. That's why driving a 911 or Boxster well is so rewarding.

The S2000 and the Miata have one thing in common and that is the Japanese feel. Not quite the same solid feel of the Porsches. At the same time, the two best transmissions of the many cars I have owned belong to the Miata and the S2000 with the favorite being the S2000. My 2001 S2000 was a ball to drive because of the short, smooth shifting transmission coupled with the 9000 rpm redline. While it is true that the car comes alive at 6000 rpm, it is not a total slug down low. The Boxster S is more rewarding down low and I love the combination of the induction and exhaust noise. However, I would guess that on an autocross or track, they would be pretty fairly matched.

Both cars are great fun to drive with the Boxster being more practical because of the two trunks. Either one would be an ideal Florida car.
18" Wheels
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote