View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog
X2. Lower octane yields less MPGs. Diminishing returns...
I am NOT going to run the test in my Boxster, but I have run it to my satisfaction in my DD ( Mazda CX7 2.3 Turbo - 93 octane suggested)and I lose 10% mileage to a 2.5% cost savings. It was so bad on 87 octane, I refilled at 1/2 tank and never tried it again. It is LOSING MONEY to go to lower octane.
My wife's Civic is a regular gas car, but she gets 11% better mileage using mid-grade and pays only 2.5% more. Going to 93 did not show a significant increase from mid-grade. We are not total geeks for gas mileage, but we commute heavy distances every day. I average over 40k per year on my DD and she averages almost 50k, so fuel consumption is a big deal on a monthly basis.
The object here is not some mystical savings of the planet's energy supply, it is cost per mile driven, and I am THOROUGHLY convinced using mid-grade is a losing proposition.
Run the test yourself, but be honest with yourself while doing it. 20 to 30 miles difference on a tankful IS a big deal when you only save $3.20 per tankfull, on 4.00 per gallon gas.