View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Perfectlap

I do a bit of Autocross myslef. My last car was a 1.8 Miata with lots of Autocross oriented mods.
In my opinion this is the best car to autocross and drive daily.
But the chicks don't dig it like they do the Boxster

I've driven the the older S2000 and I have the 3.2 Boxster.
The first thing I can say is that its a differenc of low end response
and higher end performance. The boxster S in 2nd gear(autocross gear)
is something to behold. Into third gear and you hear the lear jet sound coming from immeidately behind you. The S2000 is...different. You really have to work that gear box to get the same off the fly feeling. But the S2000 is easier on your wallet with those more expensive gas prices in Florida. How far is your daily commute?

I can't speak for the newer S2000 with much more torque than earlier versions but against the old s2000 I think my Boxster is more to my liking.
Actually, much more so.
The japanese cars are just more reliable than Germans and less expensive to repair (no contest) but someone recently posted that the Boxster received an award for consistently passing the strict German inspections process.

The torque that the 3.2 puts down is instantaneous and the steering is
like a surgeone with a scalpel. The handling is better (in my opinion than the
S2000) because you really can't beat a mid engine car in abrupt changes of direction like is so prevalent in Autocross. And I'm not a big fan of Honda's although I think the NSX which was developed by the greates racing driver of all time Ayrton Senna is a piece of sports car history.

anyhoo...I would recommend a Miata or a Boxster S if you plan to autocross and drive every day. You can turbocharge a Miata and coilvoer a Miata and get close to Boxster performance.
I think if you can find someone (usually an instructor) who has Autocrossed both a Boxster S and an newer S2000 you can get a better understanding of which you'll enjoy more.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-22-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote