View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
2001saxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Does it really matter legally whether the engines blow up or not? Is it a car company's responsibility to have their engines last indefinitely? Porsche warrants that the car will run for 4 years or 50K miles and will repair it if it does not. After that any manufacturing defects are tough ********************.

Even if Porsche knows about a defective part, it is under no obligation to inform the public of it, unless it is safety related. How can Porsche know haw the car was driven by the first owner? Was all maintenance performed by an authorized service department?

I think an individual lawsuit by a second owner is irresponsible and frivolous. As a class action suit it serves no one but the lawyers. This attitude that I should be protected for every decision I make or anything that happens to me is what's wrong with the country. Its slowly squeezing our freedoms down to nothing.

:ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah:
No, it certainly is not the responsibility of any company to warrant their products indefinitely. Why is it that everytime this issue is raised someone says something like that? We are talking about failures occuring in vehicals just slightly over the millage limit, or in some cases vehicals still within the millage limit but out of the time limit of their warranties. We are also talking about vehicals that had an inheriant flaw from day one that could have gone at any time. Ironically, the guy involved in this suit (and myself as well) had the mis-fortune to end up with one that lasted longer (past the warranty period). Still, it was just a matter of time until it failed.

You may think that this lawsuit is frivilous, but I say it is an important part of the checks and balances system that we, as consumers, rely on to protect us from unconscionable practices by large corporations. Porsche is already at a distinct advantage to take advantage of its customers by putting out faulty products. The relatively small number of their vehicals on the road combined with the low average millage on them masks what may be a VERY large percentage of them suffering massive failures. We already know that Porsche cut corners in 98 and 99 MY Boxsters to increase profits by sleeving porous engine blocks, a move which cost many loyal customers a boat load if their engine went after the warranty period. Without the risk of losing millions in a suit and gaining a bad reputation what is the motivation for them not to make similar moves in the future? I will concede though that it is unfortunate that the lawyers will be getting the most benifit out of this.

With regards to your question "How can Porsche know how it was driven by the first owner", it seems that they can pretty easily determine how it was driven. The cars computer does, after all, save all the info regarding events such as over revs and the like. By all accounts Porsche regularly uses this info to deny warranty replacements. As for maintainence, well the dealers should have those records. If it was serviced by an independant then I concede that the burden should be on the customer to prove that it was maintained properly.
2001saxster is offline   Reply With Quote