View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #20
23109VC

He bought the car from the original owner with about 20k. the original owner bought it pretty muchloaded.. i remember thinking that the orig owner should have bought an S given all the options on the car.. the MSRP was about the samea s the standard "S" model.

it has 18" turbo twists, full leather, heated seats, windscreen, M030 suspension, cruise (not sure if that was standard or an option) - the guy also put in a "S" 3 spoke steering wheel... the car had RMS problems, got a new motor, then the owner bought an "S".

he had the new one in the garage when he sold this one to my dad. i was with my dad when he bought it and did some test drives of this car and some others he considered. he's had it for roughly 6-7 years...i forget the exact year he bought it but I want to say it was 2002ish... the car was practically brand new looking when he bought it.

he is NOT the ultra careful guy who takes it to the dealer every time the littlest thing goes wrong - he does oil changes, and drives it and replaces tires and braks. but he doesn't drive it hard either. that I know. it's never been crashed, never been tracked, and has been driven by a 65 year old guy who just bought it on impulse after never having a cool car in his adult life...

dad was the responsible dad. drove the beater while he saved for the future and for his retirement. he took a boxster on a test drive on and was hooked. he bought this one, has had it several years, and is somewhat bored of it. he likes it, but is no longer "in love" iwth it and would rather have a newer quiet luxury ride for he and mom to cruise around in their retirement...

he got offered 10k in trade but didn't take it. he knows I would like it and is willing to sell it to me fora great deal but at the same time he doesn't want to 'give' it away...

12k is probably fair. that amount with either no interest, or some marginal amount like 4% - would give him what he is expecting in a private party sale with no hassle.

besides, he knows I'd let him borrow it just like he's let me borrow it... so he's still have access to it... just not in his garage like it is now. i live 30 min from him...

i actually suggested he share it. i buy half of it. we split all the repairs and tradei t off. he just doesn't want it anymore.

one thing - there is a funny noise I noticed last time i borrowed it. it sounds like air escaping from an inner tube. i notice it at idle...or when parking...like when you are pulling into / out of a parking space and are giving the motor some gas...revving it a bit..but moving slowly..top is down..so you can hear real well and there is this "pssssssssss" sound. to me it sounds exactly like what a leaky inner tube sonds like only a bit louder.

when it gets the PPI i'll make sure that is addressed. maybe it's just an exhaust leak? vacuum leak? i'll find out.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote