View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
23109VC

I am fully aware of the cost of tires. My dad always was complaining when he had to buy them. I think he spent around $300 each when he put them on. I think his car has Pirellis - Pzeros of some form. whatever they are - the car is on rails. I think his tires are okay. he buys two at a time...as they are staggered and seem to wear out at different times...

I won't drive this car EVERY day... i'm sure when I first get it - i'll drive it to work every day with the top down..then gradually slow down and drive it on weekends and to work half the time.. i have an old volvo that i use to commute and for around town trips where I am doing 'errands'.

dad said if we agree on a price i can just pay him directly on a monthly basis - not even pay him the full amount up front. so I wouldn't get hit with as much interest.

i would pay no sales tax either. that's roughly another $1000 saved.

my ONLY fear is a mega huge repair bill like IMS. I can stomach the tires, the brakes, suspension, other routine stuff - no big deal. I expect that. it's the $15,000 engine bill that has got me nervous. My wife and I have discussed this situation/purchase at length and her only reservation is the possible (unlikely but *possible*) huge engine repair bill that could happen if the motor went out..

my dad commented that part of him wants to sell it to a stranger ONLY because what IF something catastrophic went wrong and he felt guilty that i bought it from him.

I can PPI it - but that won't tell you everything.

my attitude is that it's a good deal. life is full of risk. if you never risk anything you won't have much of a life.

I know this much - I've never had as much fun driving a car as driving his boxster - and after driving his car anything else just plain sucked. i've driven faster cars. .. and they sucked.

the handling, the look, the feel...that SOUND.... wow.

Last edited by 23109VC; 07-29-2008 at 03:57 PM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote