View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
23109VC

2000 Base 73k - $11,000 - Good deal?

My had has been telling me for almost 6 months that he is going to sell his boxster... I told him I would consider buying it if he sold it. I have driven his car quite a few times over the past few years that he has owned it. I have also done a fair bit of research on boxsters to prepare for the possible purchase.

He doesn't really WANT to sell it - but he has had his fun with the car, and he is not a "car guy" to the point that he is upset over selling - he wants the money to put toward his new car. he ended up buying a used 07 Acura RL. it's for him and mom - he's retiring...wants to downsize costs...a nd he doesn't want the expense of tires etc for his boxster...

so he bought the new car... and now he is officially selling his car.

Specs of his car are:

2000 Base 2.7L. 5 speed manual. 73,000 miles on car.
OPtions: 18" wheels, M030 suspension, full leather, heated seats, cruise, steering wheel upgraded to 3 spoke wheel, 2003+ tails, clear side markers.

Ocean blue exterior. Black leather interior.

The only major repairs done laterly was a new convertible top put on by the dealer under his extended warranty a couple years ago, and they replaced his dash due to excessive wearing/scratches...

He is the second owner - bought it with about 20k on it. The original owner had RMS problems and the dealer put in a new motor. The owner then sold it, and bought a new "S" model - and sold the base.

Car has never had any other major defects. It has had the 60k service.

I think it is on the original clutch. My dad does not push the car very hard in terms of revving it up...he drives it fairly easy...I drove it recently and was amazed how much grab the clutch has. When you rev it up and shift into second it grabs hard and lunges forward. NO slip at all.

He originally told me he though he could get at least $15k for it. When he went to the dealer and tried to just trade it in to see what they would give him, they told him $8k. then they said $10k. he has surfed autotrader and cars.com and has "reassesed" what he thinks is a fair price for his car.

I think that he has decided he will get between 11-13k if he sells it privately and goes through all the hassle/time of listing it and selling it privately.

While we have not had a "firm" talk on price - I think he would sell it for $11,000 to me.

I called the dealer where it was originally sold, and where all the service gets done - Pioneer Centre in San Diego - miramar air base area - and they said I could buy a bumper to bumper warranty to cover the car for the next 36 months / 36,000 miles for $4700. OUCH.

part of me thinks if i spend just a BIT more, I could find a nice used "S" model and get more power. but at the same time - i kNOW my dad babied this thing and did not drive the stink out of it every shift or abuse it - and that is worth something. additionally, 11k sounds pretty cheap for such a fun car. the combo of the wheels and M030 makes this thing on frickin rails. if ai bought another boxster, I nkow i'd be upgrading suspension to make it handle like this one... i love the stiff ride.

QUESTIONS:

1) is this an *okay* deal - $11,000. is it a *GREAT* deal? if no, what IS a great deal on this car.

2) is the warranty a total rip off or is that fair? on a car of this age with this mileage, is this money well spent as I will get some repairs covered or am I pissing away 5k? my main fear is IMS failure. if this warranty covers NOTHING and I never have a motor failure, it's a total waste of money. IF however, the car needs a water pump, and some other stuff like a MAF or O2 sensors..and I wind up getting 2500 worth of warranty money over the next three years, THEN I would say the $2500 "unspent" wasted money is well spent for the peace of mind I would get... i

the dealer says this warranty is high end, the only one they will sell, and they said it WILL cover anything a bumper to bumper CPO warranty would cover. they recently had someone with motor failure and the company coughed up the 14k to fix it. so assume this warranty company is legit and will not hose me on the big ticket items...

The car is a blast to drive. I don't think I would regret NOT getting an "S" - as long as I'm really getting a killer deal. to me, only spending $11,000 for something as insanely fun as a boxster seems like a steal to me - but maybe there are a pile of cars on autotrader that are asking $15k who would gladly take 11k too..and I could get myself an "S" with similar or lower miles for only $13k....

anyone care to chime in on this one? thanks.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote