View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #20
insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Why is it not smart? Under tensile or compressive forces the middle brace simply holds the two OEM braces together to keep them working as one unit and reduce flex or movement. The middle brace certainly wouldn't decrease the tensile or compressive forces that the OEM braces can withstand. So I go back to the old mantra I had with the lower stress bar side braces - it can't hurt and can only help. The main load is still at the shock tower where the force is applied. Any flex or deflection from compressive forces would now be spread over the whole assembly and it should be stronger and more rigid as a result.
your mantra is flawed: it CAN hurt. in the case of your added lower stress bar side braces, there was no problem. what you're doing here is the equivalent of attatching your lower stress bar to the center of the shear plate.

the OEM braces are designed for axial load. when you add an element that produces stress in the normal direction, you can bend stuff. even if nothing bends badly, the flex in the OEM arms will essentially negate any positive benefit you might have gained from triangulating them. that, and the clamps won't do.

ideally, we want to triangulate the OEM bars by tying the actual struts together. this is best done by....SURPRISE: tying the actual struts together.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote