View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #57
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictionRacing
Oh yeah - That poor thing has done her time. She just doesn't quit though! The difference in the cost to own VWs and Porsches is that the VW will slowly break many small parts that will nickle and dime you to death but will continue to run and can almost always be put back together for under $1000. Porsches go POP! and then you're screwed - time for a second mortgage (I'm kidding - don't take out a second mortgage). I think I'll go back to my roots.
Totally agreed, Addiction. I'm not trying to be the proverbial butthead here, it's just that when you buy an expensive, fairly high stressed car, it's not going to be beatable like the lower stressed VW and it's gonna take a big ole bite outa your wallet if it fails.
My only problem with Porsche on the Boxster (and I don't know, is it the same with 996/997?) is this stupid "no rebuild" policy. What does it accomplish? Sell parts at 5000% mark up, like you do for every other car and make the damn thing rebuildable. There's nothing that can't be replaced or remanufactured in a box motor, it's just they keep the parts supply locked up and it's too small a market for aftermarket companies to get into.
It looks to me like quite a business opportunity to make a kit to install...I'll shut up up now.