View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #55
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictionRacing
More like a marble or nut meandering throughout your motor, bashing whatever it feels like bashing. It'll quiet down for a few seconds, maybe even a minute or two at a time, and then the destruction continues. I've been telling people that the motor ate itself and is now an $11,000 boat anchor. Now if I only had a boat....

I'm also going to take this opportunity to vent about something I've read on this board - the issue of "abuse." IMHO abuse includes over-revving, missing shifts, botching downshifts, and failure to maintain, especially failure to change the oil. Abuse does NOT include hard driving on the street or autocross course, or even some track use without over-revving the motor. The reason I and many others buy Porsches is to DRIVE them HARD . Other posts on this and other sites recommend driving at high RPMs to "clear out the carbon" and such. These things were (supposedly) designed to be tough sports cars that should be driven viciously for the entire duration of a tank of gas. (Something to that effect was presented in a 993 promotional video circa 1995). A true sports car should certainly be good from some track and autocross use and some regular street beatings. I have a 142k mile Jetta that has been beaten, abused, romped on, red-lined, and generally violated for the last 75k miles including track events, 80 or so autocrosses, and plenty of street thrashing. It takes it like a champ and asks for more. I don't think I was asking too much of the Boxster if I only wanted it to be as tough as my trusty old Jetta. Okay - I feel a little better - my rant is over - for now. :troll:
All things considered from above, would you be "understanding" if that poor jetta said POP?