View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 AM   #52
AddictionRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
'99 are not immune to IMS, but it is very rare on that year. I would still be interested to know how you confirmed the cause was IMS. I don't think you ever mentioned that. But do I hope you can recover some of your money.

A roller is car with all the parts, but the engine is dead. So it's a rolling working car in every way except the engine, or other part that makes unable to be driven.
I believe the only way to confirm the failure 100% is to tear down the motor and inspect, but no one does that because it's very uncommon to rebuild these. The way that my mechanic came to the conculsion that it's IMS is:

1) The sound. It's a unique and terrible sound that I won't soon forget and
2) The car had been in for the 60k service 1200 miles before, where it got a new oil filter and Mobil 1, which both now have chrome - type metal shards in them. According the the mechanic (and I'm taking his word here) the IMS bearing is the only part inside the motor made of that type of metal, as the guides and such are brass.

Unless something else comes up in the next 24 hours or so it'll be sold for $6500 to my mechanic. The deal is arranged and just has to be executed. If anyone has an offer or better alternative, let me know.
AddictionRacing is offline   Reply With Quote