View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #35
AddictionRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
I know this is an emotional time, right now, but I think in a few years you'll look back and see it was also an emotional decision.
You talk like every Boxster motor is going to fail, it's only a matter of time, while not seeing that the vast majority of them don't fail.
Bad luck is bad luck and I'm sorry your luck was that.
It's also a bad decision for Porsche to have a replacement as the only option on the Boxster engine , when parts availability would make them as rebuildable as every other engine on earth. That one is a mystery to me. They would make money on parts, also.
Renagade Hybrids has been doing Chevy conversions on 944s, 911s, and 914s and I'm just going to check with them to see if they are in development of a Boxster kit. It could be cool and is the only way I may be comfortable keeping the car. I loved driving it, but I just wouldn't trust it anymore with a Porsche power plant.

I know not every Boxster motor is going to fail, but based on the limited information available it appears that somewhere between 10 and 25% of them fail due to RMS, IMS, or a slipped sleeve. I'll call it a 10% failure rate and in my opinion half of that would still be way too high for any reputable manufacturer of "durable" goods. Hyundai stands behind their cheap North Korean econo-boxes with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Why doesn't Porsche, a company with a (recently underserved in my mind) reputation for longevity have a similar policy? I no longer believe in German engineering and as has been suggested so many times on this board, I will not own a Porsche without a warranty because it's just too risky.

As for being emotional about it, yes, I most certainly am. I have been obsessed with these cars for 20 years and feel betrayed by them. A reputable company claiming that "The most valuable capital this company has is its loyal customers with their sense of Porsche responsibility." (taken from the PCNA web-site http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/porschecarsnorthamerica/n432/ ) should stand behind the product they build, fix the engineering flaws that become aparent, and take care of their customers so that we, as my father did, instill the love of Porsche in our kids and grandchildren that made the company successful. Failure to stand behind your products and take care of loyal customers is asking for failure.
AddictionRacing is offline   Reply With Quote