View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Lil bastard

Motor failures in these cars happen... and at a higher rate than either of the other two cars you are considering - the S2K and the RX8.

Porsche has never released any data, but several ad hoc polls, on several forums, indicate it to be somewhere in the 15%-25% area (15 is probably too low and 25 probably too high). One service manager I met confirmed, that in his opinion, this is the correct range.

Earlier engines tend to fail for different reasons than newer models (RMS vs IMS). Stories about Sleeved engine failures in earlier cars persist but really have pretty much been weaned from the population of existing cars.

Cars over 25-30k mi. 'seem' more immune to the RMS issue than ones of lesser mileage, but that's no guarantee, there are documented failures at higher mileages as well, but fewer of them. IMS does not seem to be mileage dependent, the reported failures in these engines spans any range on the odo. The Tiptronic cars do tend to suffer less from RMS failures, probably because of having less direct contact with the crankshaft due to their torque converters, but still do not enjoy total immunity.

The 996s share the same fate with maybe a slightly higher incidence, albeit slightly, and I know that you were questioning these cars as well.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, just being realistic. If you can live with that 'Sword of Damocles' looming overhead, then the rest is a pretty great car.

It's easy to be swept up with the emotion of owning a Porsche and downplay the risks, but it's a disservice to you to put on the Happy Face mask and pretend that there's little or no risk.

I'd love to see you get the car, and even with a 25% failure rate, the odds are still in your favor. But, as a 'Family guy', you need to be informed.

All aside, EVERY used car is a crap shoot !! The best way of evening the odds is to be PATIENT - look at lots of cars, be OBJECTIVE - don't overlook minor faults because in the end, you'll pay for them, and be FLEXIBLE - don't zero-in on a specific model year or option package - get the best car you can find out there for the money you can spend, but always - STAY WITHIN YOUR BUDGET !!

In the end, you're not buying the car 'forever'. If you find one which turns out not to be the right one, sell it - even if that means repairing it 1st or taking a loss.

The one sure thing about used Porsches is that... there is NO sure thing !! Good Luck !!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote