View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #15
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictionRacing
The mechanic is Dan Jacobs LLC (Hairy Dog Grrrage). He's a very well-known indy in the area with a great reputation.

He was able to determine the failure from the noise it was making as well as all the metal in my 1200 mile old oil and filter. He says that the outer coating comes off the ball-bearings and ends up throughout the engine, resulting in failure and the wonderful sound of metal shards destroying expensive (poorly designed) machinery.

I obviously don't have the car handy, but if I recall correctly it was made in May of 1998. Does that sound right?

My current line of thought is to dump it for whatever I can get for it and go for an older, reliable, air-cooled, brutal 911.
Don't think those older 911s are all that much more reliable.
Say this over, several times - Cam chain tensioner, cam chain tensioner, cam chain tensioner....
Then check out the maintenance schedules and see how much they cost. Say - valve adjustment, valve cover gaskets, warped valve covers, cooling fans, etc., etc.