Thread: Tire Mounting
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
RandallNeighbour

+1 on the dynamic balancing request, plus find a shop that has a Hunter 9700 series balancing machine, which is what is termed "road force" balancing. This machine is unique in that it has a roller that puts pressure on the tread and simulates the road as well as spinning the tire.

Properly balanced tires have been one of the nagging issues I've had with my car. I lost count after the 4th or 5th time I had them balanced. My third set of tires, Michelin PS2's came mounted on my new rims and they made the car feel as if it was riding on glass so they must have done it right. However, with just 6k on these tires, I need to get them dynamically road force balanced again. Ugh!

Be sure to take your car out immediately after mounting and balancing and slowly raise the speed to 100 mph to see where vibration might occur. Consumer shops like Discount Tire won't guarantee balance past about 75 mph, but what I did was holler at them, saying it vibrates like crazy at 73 mph and demanded they do it again.

And while you probably as anal as I am, stand there and watch the kid do everything and tell him that your rims are far too expensive to repair so not to beat on them or scratch them up.

One last bit of free advice... the wheel bolts can be removed with an impact wrench, but should never be put back on with one. They should be hand tightened and then torqued to 96 ft pounds.

You'll think you have a new car when you get new tires and they're balanced properly, moreso than any other kind of car you've owned in the past.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote