View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #29
pbanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
I agree with Jeph. I was on another thread talking about over-revving these motors and how that's not a good idea. A couple of people wrote back saying if these cars couldn't take banging off the rev limiter or shifting at redline repeatedly they aren't worth the cost of owning one. They, of course, don't care about their cars in my opinion. Abuse is abuse and you will pay the price for it. With that said, buying any used car without checking it out first "thoroughly" is like picking up a girl at the neighborhood dive and having her tell you she doesn't have any STD's.

Good thing about Porsche though, you can look into the diagnostics and see the abuse. Those are the cars you stay away from.
Touching redline when shifting under WOT isn't abuse. If it were, every PCA and BMWCCA DE event would be littered with broken engines. It doesn't happen. Abuse is exceeding redline. Abuse is going to high revs with cold oil. Abuse is repeated drop-clutch full throttle starts. There is a difference. BTW, touching redline or briefly engaging the rev limiter is not the same as exceeding the maximum specified engine speed.

I drive my car is it was designed and intended to do, as do I suspect most owners here. As for "paying the price" for doing this, I have owned Porsches since 1982 and have never had any problem with engine failures, including signficant track time. I encourage other Porsche owners to fully utilize their car's potential, and do so without feeling the need to "baby" it.