View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
pbanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Sorry, I have to chime in here...

Redline (max recommended RPM's) and rev limiters are in place for one reason and one reason only by the manufacturer. If you exceed them, permanent engine damage will result, period. So constant revving up to it- I'm sure isn't good.

As I said in a past post, the on board diagnostics records all over-rev's and length of ignition interruptions (rev limiter). Big brother's recording you and if the dealer sees it while doing warranty work, forget about it!

I guess you can rev minivans to redline all the time and nothing will harm them right?
I'm not concerned about the OBD records on my Boxster or my M3 for that matter. The engine has a maximum speed that it can be safely operated at, and your rev limiter prevents you from exceeding it. Touching factory redline under acceleration is not abuse for any motor I've ever owned. The actual amount of time your engine spends at redline is miniscule when compared to the amount of time you spend at part load and moderate engine speeds.

Many manufacturers (including Porsche) do endurance testing on their motors under lab and track conditions where the engines are run at or near redline conditions, with WOT, for hours at a time. No owner would ever have the opporunity to subject their motor to such stress.

The way I look at it is that if a motor cannot be operated at redline, then it isn't redline. If touching redline from time to time causes my motor to fail, then the motor's design and/or engineering is flawed, and if the manufacturer won't back up their product, then I won't buy from them again.