View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
RandallNeighbour

Had the same thoughts when my wife and I drove to CA from Texas. Keep the spare? Where to put the flat when the spare is changed?

A. I kept the spare, insuring it was inflated to 60 psi or whatever the requirement is. I hate the thought of being stranded in a Porsche in the middle of nowhere and at the mercy of a wrecker driver that thinks I'm a rich snob because I didn't buy a Mustang GT.

B. Take a couple of bungee cords and a bath towel along. In the unlikely event of a flat tire, one can put the spare on the car and then do the following:

1. Drop the top.
2. Remove the roll bar inserts and center windscreen.
3. Place the towel on the clamshell.
4. Put the rim on the towel.
5. Secure it to the car with the bungee cords.
5. Drive cautiously to a tire repair shop or to get the tire replaced (preferred).

Someone on the forum recommended this years ago and I still like the idea. I never had to try it thankfully, but it is a good way to get your wife AND your rim away from the roadside mess in which you find yourself.

I had thought of leaving my wife with the rim to go get help, but that didn't fly. And of course, I didn't even speak aloud the idea of leaving the wife and taking the rim in the passenger seat because, well, you can image the trouble that would create! :troll:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote