View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
bigb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
So I am getting a "factory rebuild engine" (or whatever Porsche calls this) after the death of my original engine due to intermediate shaft failure @ 51k miles.
So this replacement engine is obviously not new as the 3.2L engine went out of production a couple of years ago. Does anyone know what I will be getting? Is the new engine "as good as new" or how would you classify the status of such a replacement engine?

To avoid the obvious questions why I don't do a 3.4 or 3.6 engine swap:
It's too expensive: my extended warranty pays for the new engine & core (and installation). If I swapped the engine for anything other than the original 3.2L, then I would have to pay for the core myself and would probably also void the (extended) warranty.

Thanks
Chris, sorry to hear that. I can't help you with your question, but am surprised to see the IMS failure striking at over 50k miles. 2nd report of this nature I've read in the past couple of weeks, I think. I thought this problem only occurred when the car had low miles (35k sounded like the conventional wisdom), but clearly that isn't the case.

Regardless, good that you have the warranty covering you, and good luck with how things turn out with the new engine.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote