View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Quickurt

You give us a tough one to describe.
I found everything about the 987 to be superior.
I drove several 986s and I felt the steering ratio to be too low, as in too much steering input to turn the car. The 987 is a bit better, just enough that I don't feel as if I'm making two revolutions on the wheel.
In remembering differences, there was a bit more feel through the chassis on the 986, but it is somehow still not lacking in the 987, just smoother. Probably the more refined suspension.
I've raced formula fords for 30 years and had a few runs in formula atlantics. Throw in several different door cars, over the years, and, I'd say, I have driven quite a few cars at the limit. My first Porscche was a '64 356 C Cab, followed by '66, '68, and '71 911s, a '70 914-6 (great handling car!) and a gaggle of 914-4s.
Even though it put me in an uncomfortable budget range, one drive in a 987 and I quit looking at 986s.
If there's another street car in the price range of the 987 Boxster that's a better all around value and as much fun, I haven't found it.