View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
hqduong

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I think he is right. I too share this belief. It all has to do with adding more weight to the rear hub and flywheel. The lighter the rim, the less weight put on both and you can usually feel the difference in pick-up. So unless you can find a super light-weight rim that is still 19" you will be adding more weight and stress to the rear axle. I choose the 18s with a lowered stance for better handling and looks. When I owned a Mazda RX7 and had 17" racing rims on it and then switched to 19"s just for looks, I noticed a significant loss in pick-up and torque. So ever since I bought my Boxster, I swore I would not go over 18s. Hope this helps. Cheaper on your wallet too, since we cannot rotate the tires front to back like other cars. And you will go through rear tires fast if you are a daily driver.

Actually this has to do with highschool physics of "Rotational Inertia". Wikipedia this

When putting more mass outside rather than inside, it takes more time to slow it down and also to speed it up. i.e. More metal rather than rubber with 19 rather than 18s.

It's similar to an figure skater, you see how they pull their arms inwards when doing a spin? It makes them go faster.
hqduong is offline   Reply With Quote