View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
987gator

I have had the opportunity to attend a 2 day Skip Barber event with the 330, RX-8 and Cayman at Road Atlanta (not on my dime), and other than the skid pad events, I felt I learned more at PCA DE's. The Skip Barber cars are pretty ragged out, and all you have is $2000 of liability if something happens on the track. IFor the money, and if you have interest, attend a DE. Safety is prime objective at PCA DE's. They have speed limits on the beginner groups, they have designated passing zones, and they black flag dangerous drivers. On the other hand, I have been to several Chin Motorsports DE's at Sebring, and safety and sign off time to SOLO is much less than at PCA events.

With every DE I have attended (@ 8), the drive up I-95 to Roebling Road or the drive down I-4 / US 27 to Sebring has been the most dangerous part of the weekend. I suspect one is much more likely to get rear ended or side swiped on the highway and crash at a DE. The only caveat is all my DE's were in a MR2 Spyder (which did not eat brakes, oil, or tires), later this month is my first DE in my 987. I am very excited to take the Porsche out and see how smooth she can navigate the track.

So try it, go slow, don't get upset if everyone passes you on the track, and see if you like it. Jay
987gator is offline   Reply With Quote