View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #13
ChrisZang

well, IMHO P'cars are built to be driven fast and the only place I can do this legally is on the track.
I agree with earlier posters: Do a few Auto-X (with PCA) until you get a better feel for the car and at some point you simply know when it's time to try out your "track legs".
Again, do this with PCA, their focus is on safety, safety and safety
Both at Auto-X and track days you will ride with an instructor in the car until they find you are safe to go solo (and they are serious about this).
Initially I also was *very* worried about doing any damage to my daily driver but the car's just as fine and undamaged after almost 20 Auto-X and close to 10 track days as it was before. The reason is that at the end it's YOU who sets the speed in the car (NOBODY forces you to go faster than you feel comfortable). Don't get distracted by all the videos of people flipping their cars etc. Auto-X is EXTREMLY safe and the "flipping car videos" are one in a million examples of people on whom the "red mist" decended.

But on a different note look at the $$$ you have to spend:
For both Auto-X and track days you need a helmet and while some people think the most expensive helmet is just good enough for you, I went with a cheapo $100 helmet

Auto-X: very moderate cost, here in the Bay Area you pay $30 for a day (= 8 minutes of driving time) of Auto-X, you won't wear your tires too much but you'll see more wear, so no biggie here

track days:
usually $250 ~ $400 / day
I usually use on full tank of gas / day
you probably need to stay in a motel
I have special brake pads for the track ($500)
You need driving gloves ($50)
And I just bought a 2nd set of rims ($500) for track tires ($1,000)
and eventually you'll want to buy a timer ($100 ~ $200) and do more modifications (suspension, bucket seat, 6 point harness, etc.)
So considerable more $$$ to spend here....
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote