View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Surely everyone must decide for themselves. A 100mph+ racetrack is probably not the best place for your first outing to learn car control.

Like Skiing, start on the bunny slopes. There is plenty of time to hit the double diamond chutes and ridges once you have mastered basic skills. I recently completed a Performance driving school where basic skills are mastered and safety and car control come first. Everyone in attendance came out a much safer and more confident driver on the street as well as the track. There was a wide range of attendees from veteran club racers honing their skills to a 17 yr old girl in her first car, to a 70 yr old grandmother learning better safety and awareness in her '68 912. I will be sending all of my kids to this next year.

Try Autocross with the PCA. It doesn't cost much, Speeds are usually much lower than track days, instructors are free, and if you hit a few cones or spin the only damage is to your ego. This is a safe and fun way to improve your driving skills.

If you do decide to go to the track, drive within your ability. if you ever get anxious or uncomfortable just slow it down or call it a day. Your fellow drivers will thank you for your wisdom. There is no reason to put your car in the weeds or worse if you keep your adrenaline in check and drive within your limits. You can still have fun and drive fast without beating your car.

There are lots of guys here with more experience at this than me (jmatta, kabel, johnV). Hopefully I have provided a little clarity as these questions were fresh in my mind 11/2 years ago. Drive safe.