View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Kevfra

My two cents - worth one cent...

Before I bought my Box I did some little study on this issue. Forst of all you can tell from your VIN where it was assembled - not from the dealer sticker because in the US they all say final assembly in Germany. The word 'final' being kind of tricky and playing loose with the facts.

Anyway I bought my car from my neighbor who is a dealer, also sells a ton of Saab, Jaguar and Mercedes. He says the Finland built Boxter comes from the Saab plant and has better quality workmanship. Same parts of course as the German assembled car, just a difference in workmanship and the factory. He pointed to the excellent workmanship of the Saab...while not skipping that it isn't a very good car due to engineering and parts, particularly transmission. but anyway he raves about the workmanship quality of Finland.

So we went through the VINs on the lot and I selected one made in Finland. So far no regrets. I have owned several Porsche cars over many years, my last being a 928st, and never considered where they came from. Did have a friend with a VW 914 and geez was the quality bad. BUt my 928 was superb. My 911 and 912 were funky, and my old bathtub C was fabulous. Who knows? But this time I made a definate choice and went with the Finland car.

By the way I have been to Germany many times and have visited the assembly plants for mercedes and BMW but not Porsche. As far as things looked to me they were outstanding examples of fine modern factories and well cared for employees. Never have visited the plants in Finland...maybe that'll be a future trip.
Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote