Thread: warped rotor?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
RandallNeighbour

Mark (Houston_C4S) came over and drove my car today.

Back and front left side rotors are very smooth and still have some of the machine marks on them. Slight use.

The front right side rotor has a lot of wear on it and slight ridges in the rotor and looks as if I repeatedly stood on the brakes at the track for a half day compared to the other three. Definitely warped according to Mark when he braked hard.

Mark thinks that one of the caliper pistons on that wheel might have gotten stuck. I did not know to clean the inside of the calipers and the rings before I put them back on the car after the disc and pad replacement.

So, I ordered a new rotor.

Mark and I will remove the caliper and clean it good and clean each piston as well. Then, we'll put it back on, drive the car a while, and use a laser thermometer to measure the heat from both rotors up front and see if one we worked on is hotter or the same temp. This will help us see if we fixed the problem or if the caliper needs to be rebuilt.

If we fixed the problem, I'll install the new rotor and call it a day.

What a pain in the arse. These 11 year old boxsters are one problem after another.

I'd trade it on a much newer one, but I don't have an extra $25k lying around to spend on a weekend vehicle.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote