View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
turbo23dog

I have a theory about notchy shifting on 6 speed Boxsters.

I too suffered from not being able to shift into 3rd gear when the trans was cold. It was also notchy going into 4th all the time. 2nd Gear was occasionally notchy and sometimes it felt as if the gearshift lever was not making the full travel into the 2nd gear.

In an unrelated thread, I asked for opinions regarding a minor shudder under light acceleration through ~3K rpms. Several folks recommended I check my front engine mount. Sure enough, the front mount rubber was torn completely through and this on a 00S with 28K very easy miles.

BOTTOM LINE: replacing the front engine mount seems to have completely changed my shifting feel in all gears for the better.

Since you can't see the engine mount without removing it, I wonder just how many Boxster owners that have reported shifting problems have a bad front engine mount.

I also wonder, OUT LOUD, if there is any possible way that the stress on the mechanical equipment of engine and trans from a bad front engine mount could cause other problems, say for example a possible connection to rear main seal leaks.

YMMV
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote