View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Frodo

I drive pretty similarly. I tend towards the more 'spirited' approach if all of the following apply: 1) little chance of the local boys-in-blue running radar (which is why I, like you, tend to like entrance ramps, especially long ones); 2) virtually no chance of pedestrian encounters; and, to be sure regarding the pedestrian thing, 3) I look for places where visibility on either side of the road is good (no parked vehicles, for example, that some kid, a dog, etc. can jump out from behind).

Kind of broke the rules a little last night. Was driving the Box on Kent State Univ. campus last night, just after dark, to pick up my wife who teaches there. BEAUTIFUL night, probably 60 degrees, clear (though dark) sky, top down, etc. Took a turn and punched it a little. Very shortly thereafter, saw the blue lights come on behind me. Quickly went submissive: pulled right over, turned the music way down, sat with my hands visible on the top of the steering wheel, etc. Big campus cop comes walkin' up to the side of the car, supressing a slight grin, says "How ya' doin' this evening?" "Well, I was doin' great til about 30 seconds ago" was my response. He says "Well, you're still doing good...just slow it down a bit, OK?" "Sure, no problem. I appreciate it." [Him cutting me a break, that is; he turns to start walking back to his car] "By the way, what did you clock me at?" I ask as an afterthought. [It's a 25 MPH zone. Does anyone else besides me find it agonizing to drive 25?] "Gotcha at 45...and you were decelerating."

"Thanks again, officer. You have yourself a good night"

Last edited by Frodo; 04-17-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote