View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #57
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjkim550
Hey Lil,

Can you educate me a little bit more if you have the inclination and time? Sorry LB, this is definitely off-topic of your hot new ride.

Why the oil change at 650 - 700 miles? I have had brand new Hondas which recommended that I keep the new oil to at least 5,000 miles as it had supposedly "specially formulated" break-in oil that was to help with the break in process. I know I am comparing apples to oranges but why change the oil at 650? Metal fragments, impurities, new motor problems?

Thanks,
Well, you should follow the Mfgr's recommendations. These are usually well thought through as there's no profit in it for them tell you things that are harmful to your car, especially with today's expanded warranties. Note I said Mfgrs., not necessarily Dealers.

Yea, you got it. Most of the wear to internal parts has occurred by 700 mi. If you sent that Oil for Blackstone analysis, you might find it the most negative report in the life of the car. If you strained the oil, or cut open the filter, you'd probably be able to see some of this metal. Admittedly, this is Old School, but it also makes sense.

Special Break-in oil is usually not necessary. Rebuilders typically use Dino oil for this break-in period, supposedly, not being as slick as a synthetic, it allows the parts to wear-in better.

While I use Dino Oil for an engine break-in, when I have done rebuilds, the reason is not to better break-in the motor, it's just that Dino oil is much less expensive than synthetic. I am Lil bastard, but I'm also a Cheap Bast*rd too...

There are other reasons to take it easy the first 1k mi. or so, as I listed in my last post. But, a couple other things too. A car is an assemblage of many parts - literally thousands of them. When a car is new, all these parts are as yet unproven.

Waaay back in 1970, I bought a Saab Sonnet III - my 1st New car! I had really wanted a 240Z, but the Dealer premium made it about $600 more expensive than the Saab, doesn't seem like much now, but back then, it made a difference.

Anyway, I get everything sorted at the Dealer and drove away. About 3 mi. later, I was turning a corner and the right front wheel just flew off. Not just the wheel, but the whole wheel carrier.

Turned out it was a defect in the casting - so rare that Saab bought the car back from me and shipped it back to Sweden for analysis. Fortunately for me, I took my check and went right to the Datsun Dealership and got the 240Z I had really wanted in the first place.

My point being, if I had gone Tear-Ass*ng out of the Dealership, when this part broke, I might have injured myself or others, the fact that I took it easy meant that only the car suffered.

But you are new to the car too, and that can make a difference. Take time to get to know the car before you start pressing it's limits. We've seen several 'new' owners here have the car get away from them in the 1st few weeks of ownership because they're not used to a car like this.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-25-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote