View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #51
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna21
Not to get too far off topic but this has been disproved and is certainly an old wives tale where Porsche's are concered. Porche's been doing a hard break-in for many decades why should she not continue?
Because the owners manual says not to.

I know there is a school of thought out there that says to rev em high and hard from the get-go, but most of that came from a fabled article on breaking-in rebuilt engines and the article was specifically about motorcycles - http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm .

When the car is new, it's not just the engine which requires break-in. Wheel Bearings, Brake Pads, Rotors, Alternator, AC compressor, Waterpump, even the Belt Pulleys all develop wear patterns in the first several hundred miles. Done right, and it'll minimize repair costs down the road.

I rebuilt the engine on a '63 E-Type about 10 years ago. Once installed and ready to go, I used an electric drill to bring up the oil pressure and once the gauge read 25PSI, we started it, wedged the accelerator to 2800 RPM and let it run for 20 min., then dropped the oil, all per the advice of the leading Jaguar engine Guru in the country. It was broken-in after that point and never hiccup'd once in the 30 k mi. I drove it before selling it. The new owner and I are friends, and he's put another 25k on it without any trouble. But, that was a rebuilt engine, the rest of the car's mechanicals were already broken-in.

People can do what they wish with their cars, no doubt. But, the list of people developing engine problems due specifically to following the manufacturer's break-in recommendations is pretty small.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-24-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote