Thread: Oil Level
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
Lil bastard

As has been mentioned before, in any type of Track or Auto-X, I think you have to go off spec and add whatever you feel is appropriate to your conditions and your car. But, I suspect that the reason for this increased capacity was the reports of oil starvation to the bearing experienced when tracking the early cars - fairly well documented.

One thing occurs to me though, Porsche put out this TSB increasing the oil quantity spec, but they did not address the measurement of this added amount.

They do not recalibrate the electronic oil level indicator or knotch the dipstick to show the proper revised amount. In others words, if you rely on these instruments, your Oil level will be below the revised quantity - under-filled to the revised spec.

For those with dipsticks, I suggest (and will perform myself) that you take a dipstick reading when you know that the proper amount has been added (just after an oil change), pull the dipstick and note where the level sits (presumably it will be higher than the Maximum Fill Line). Then take a file and score the dipstick at that point to give you a revised maximum fill line. You'll still have the original fill line too. The difference between these two lines should also be used to determine where the revised Add Oil line should be. While I would not score the dipstick to create another Add Oil line, I would look for the difference between the actual level and the Add Oil line to determine whether any was needed.

If you don't have the dipstick and must rely solely on the electronic oil gauge, you would now need to fill to the top bar on the gauge. Each bar represents approx. 8oz. or .25 Ltr. Since the original Full measurement was the 2nd to top bar, increasing the capacity by .25 Qt. means you must now use the top bar as your Full guide. On problem here is that you no longer have an over-filled indicator on the gauge as you in fact had before.

Finally, it's possible that Porsche did recalibrate these gauges for cars produced after this TSB was introduced, but I can find nothing stating that it has. So, you have to decide which bar (the top or second from the top) you want to use. But for the early cars, the top line should be your new Full line for sure.

Just remember to change your oil on a level surface and allow it to drain at least 20 min. (30 is probably better) to make sure that the proper amount has been drained, and that you warm up the engine (and Oil) before draining it so that it flows properly and so all the dirt and gunk is in suspension so it will drain with the oil.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote