View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
edevlin

911 Test Drive - Mistake

I used to be into high-end audio until I sold off much of my gear to buy my Boxster. I had my home audio system tuned or voiced to the sound I liked. Of course there were more expensive and better sounding audio rigs out there (even though when I sold mine, it allowed me to buy my Boxster).

As much as I was satisified with the sound of my system, if I went to a high-end shop and listened to a very trick rig, my home system would sound like it was lacking in comparison. I learned long ago, that I could enjoy my music more if I did not try to listen to the best systems available and hence find fault in what I had. I guess you see where this is going...

My driving impression varies from day to day, but I have always been impressed by how quick my Boxster was, especially for a 2.7L car. I have test driven 3.2 and 3.4L Boxsters and liked their torque and they were definately faster than my 2.7L, but I was still underwhelmed by their accereration. I think I went into the test drives expecting more from the cars.

I just test-drove a 2008 3.6L Carrera and was amazed at its torque and straight-line accereration. I dont know if I was not expecting it to be that quick and that is why it seemed that way or what, but it was fast. It had 18" wheels and stock suspension, so it did not handle to my taste, spongy, not very responsive to steering, but it was quick. I got back in my car after the test-drive and mine seemed like it took forever to get from 2 to 5K (read that slow), where the 911 got there now.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote