View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 06:12 AM   #4
RandallNeighbour

I just did the brakes on my 1997. My mechanic said that the best way to do it is:

1. Replace all four sets simultaneously. They'll wear better than just doing the front or rear that need it the most.

2. Order your pads through an online place like Vertex. I used Textar, upon my mechanic's recommendation, but there are other great pads to use as well (as hotly debated here as oil types!!!) Just remember to get good German ones.

3. This might cause an arguement here, but my mechanic said that replacing wear sensors are not worth it. Regular inspection is just as good and far cheaper.

4. Rotors are not turned on Boxsters, only replaced, and will usually last about three sets of pads, maybe four, according to my mechanic. He said it depends a lot on what type of pads are used on the car and how much hard and high speed braking you do.

5. The brake job is not hard to do at all... it's a couple of bolts per wheel and slipping in the new ones, then bleeding the brake lines. I've seen DIY instructions online. I see no reason that a reputable repair shop could not do this for you as long as you supplied your own brake pads (I agree with the other poster here... no Midas. Find an independent shop that works on Mercedes and Audis and you'll be just fine. They'll be able to work on your brakes no problem).

6. One last thing my mechanic said should be done is to replace the brake fluid with the best synthetic brake fluid on the market as it really helps stopping performance. I cannot remember the brand he put in mine but he sure was right. (This won't be cheap, but buying good fluid and bringing it to whomever does your brakes and requesting a brake fluid change can't hurt one little bit and is worth another 75 bucks for your own safety.)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-22-2005 at 06:15 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote