View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
aBsOlUt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
There are different offsets required for 996/986 cars vs 997/ 987 cars, both front and rear. Insofar as I have looked, 997 wheels do not fit on 986 cars without using spacers, especially in the rear. The Boxster needs a rear offset which is between 911 narrow body and wide body.

Most 996 fitments you see for a 10" wide wheel are ET65, 911 Turbo wheels don't fit as they are 11" wide and ET45. What you want for a 10" rear is about ET45, with an 8" wide front around ET50.

There are multiple companies making factory knock offs, but they are certainly going to be heavier than factory wheels, as well as likely not as strong. Add in resale, and I would tend to be inclined to work with factory wheels in the appropriate size to avoid spacers.

Patrick
Patrick is right about the offsets. I just ordered SportTechno replica wheels, should be in tomorrow. If you are going to go the replica route make sure you keep your OEM wheels in case you want to sell the car later, unless your buyer is interested with the replicas.

I had my doubts for buying replicas but a lot of different sources, including this forum here, reassured me in a way that they are as strong as OEM and really have no difference besides the OEM stamp. Their weight differences are minimal.

I guess I will find out in two days! Good luck with whatever you do.
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote