View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
tboyer

Garage
Here's a couple of tips IMO:

- Buy a Box still under manufacturer's warranty, CPO, OR with an extended warranty purchased by the previous owner. Insist on all paperwork
- IF the box you're looking at is outside of Porsche warranty and DOES NOT have an extended warranty, insist on as much service history as possible
- IF the box was no warranty OR documented service history, you might as well put your money on black in Vegas, no matter what the mileage, there is a strong possibility you're about to buy someone else's headache.

I purchased my '01 with 65K on it outside of warranty, I wanted a higher but not high mileage Boxster. I was able to retrieve service history back to 48K from a Porsche dealership in Tulsa. Within the service history I was able to confirm repair of the RMS seal, MAF, O2 sensors, AOS, oil fill tube, etc....most of the common problems we bump into have been addressed. In addition, many of these issues were fixed within the past year, so, if they fail again, Porsche will warranty the labor and parts at ANY Porsche dealership.

I was considering an extended warranty through Warranty Direct but have decided to put that 4K in my ING account which as already earned $150 bucks in interest. In addition, I have decided to get my hands dirty around the car in an effort to avoid as much stealership markup as possible. Moral of the story, learn as much as you can before hand.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold

Last edited by tboyer; 03-01-2008 at 03:35 AM.
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote