Thread: subwoofer help
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
boxster7614

I am using Jl audios 10W0's They put out alot of sound for lower wattage. I think I paid $89 for each and $100 for the box. This was almost 4 years ago. I don't think they make the W0's anymore.

I am sure I'm not the only one to do this but if so you can name this mod after me if you like.

Every one told me that putting the subs in the rear trunk would never work and I would never hear it, but I did it as trial and error. They ended up sounding great! and I am very picky when it comes to sound!!!!!!! My entire home theater had to be THX certified.

I did have to Dynomat the entire inside of the trunk and lid so it didn't sound like a bag of rattling tin cans going down the road. You can spend all you want on equipment, but if you don't stop the rattles it's worthless.

This is definitly the route to go if you want real bass......you just have to sacrifice the trunk space to do it. I don't like the idea of putting it in the foot well and my seats are all the way back as far as they can go right now. Like I said before I also like every thing hidden to cut down on theift.

I went with a sealed box because it requires less airspace and it's a tighter cleaner sound........although I did contemplate building a custom band pass box and route the port through the trunk wall. But if you don't do all your calculations right a bandpass will sound like crap....they are also very boomy and have a narow range.

Make sure you put in a great big stiffening capacitor so you don't strain the electrical system and so your headlights don't dim to the beat of the music.

I will try to post some pics as soon as I can
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote