View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
RandallNeighbour

Yeah, it's a great idea IF you can get one that is worth what you pay for it and one that actually pays out.

Do some searching here on this forum and you'll find a bunch of threads with mixed reviews about extended warranty companies and their payout exceptions.

Find one that a forum member has had good experiences with and then ask them to rate your car.

Frankly, it might be smarter to put the $2000 or more in the bank and let it earn interest for the day you need repairs, then use some of the cash at a good independent mechanic's shop vs. the stealership.

97's like ours had some odd glitches like the top transmission cables stretching and disconnecting. Other problems that span model years are the coolant overflow tank in the trunk cracking and leaking, the oil filler tube that goes from the cap through the firewall in the trunk cracking, etc. I have also replaced my driver's side lower control arm twice... go figure.

No one would give me an extended warranty in 04 on my 84k high mileage 1997 boxster. However, yours has low mileage and a vast majority of the 97's and 98's have had new engines put in them... mine had a new engine put in just before I bought it.

So for the intermediate shaft failure or the rear main seal leak issues alone, an extended warranty would be great to have on your car, providing they can prove to you in print that these things are covered.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote