View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
lapis986

plug ipod power -get noise :(

I did the ipod plug on mine a while ago, super easy install with radio keys and code in hand.
problem I encountered was that when i plugged the power line into the fuse panel (open fuse) i got so much hiss that i unplugged it right away. It was better when the ipod backlight was on, but got louder whn the light was off. I read on this forum that it could be due to the lack of insulation in the (blau) cable itself, which i agree is the problem. make sure you have a good ground. Chills post is helpful. Which cable did you use?

heres what I do for hours of road music- charge your ipod before leaving the driveway, when it gets low, pull the red charging wire from it's "tucked in position" just above the fuse panel and plug it in to the open fuse to charge your ipod. Some have used the cig lighter to tap into. Mine is set up to charge if car is on or off so while I park for lunch, it charges, pull the wire back out, and enjoy several more hours of music. I have parts for a small in line switch which will eliminate the need to pull fuses out and should make for easy on/off charging. While it is charging I usually just enjoy the exhaust note, or play a new cd.

I insist on clean sound and was really bummed that i could not get the system to play hiss-free music when plugged in, and this option takes literally just a few seconds to connect and disconnect.
I am still struggling with the right mount for the ipod, tried velcro on the dash, didn't hold, so I just ran the plug on the passenger side and put the ipod on the passenger seat. My passengers can also watch videos or movies this way. I am planning to modify a cig lighter "plug" with no power to it and mount the ipod to the part that sticks out of the port (basically it is a solid mount in the right orientation on the dashboard.)
lapis986 is offline   Reply With Quote