View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Gary in BR

I have a 9500 and have had it for almost a year. Its my favorite radar detector I have ever owned.

Get the remote display. Its worth every penny. I have my remote display mounted by the tach. When the detector alerts the bright flashing yellow led gets my attention before the voice or the display.

I have my detector mounted by the rear view mirror and its hardwired into my car. So there are no exposed wires.

Also, read up on the many displays the 9500 is capable of.
I am not one for fancy lights in my cars so I did not go with the Knight Rider signal scanning on the display I have a simple "a" for auto mode.

A great feature with this detector I dont see them advertising much of is the ability to track more than one signal. In its default setting it will signal multiple signals with the voice alerts. If you go into the menus there is a setting that will display multiple signals and each of their strengths.

My advice on blocking false alarms:
There is a setting that you can see the radio band of the radar.
I used that setting and a tablet. I wrote the band number and approximate location. After a few days of getting the same band in the same areas I blocked the signal.

I have done this on all of the routes I travel the most, to work, the gym, the other offices, LSU's campus. Now if I am on the interstate and get a signal I know its a cop somewhere.

The only feature I wish the detector had that I have seen on others is a dark display that when an alarm is triggered lights up. The 9500 does have a dark mode that shuts the entire devices display off, but it would be nice to have a separate mode that would be dark and then on when an alert is picked up.

As far as range goes, I normally pick up cops a mile to a mile and half before I see them. I understand some detectors may have more range, but over a mile is good enough for me, plus the lack of false alarms everyday to work is worth it.

I say go for the red because it matches the interior closer.
Hope this helped.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote