Thread: Coolant Loss
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #13
saaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
How do you know if its the newer cap?

(not to hijack the thread)
Last 2 digits are either 01 or 02 for the newer caps. Old caps say 00 etc..

I suggest taking off the oil cap and coolant cap and then remove the rubber flap. This lets you see if the bleeder/pressure valve or cap are leaking. If there is coolant on the top there it is probably one of those two and you should be able to see where it is coming from. If no coolant there on top then look under the carpet in the trunk to see if it is a cracked tank which is extremely common. If no coolant in either place then likely a hose, etc. in the engine bay or even one of the big radiator hoses in front of the engine underneath. My bet is it is a cracked tank.

While failed "bleeder" valves, caps, and a hose can certainly be a source of the problem, it seems like most of these problems are due to cracked coolant tanks which you will see all over the forums such as renntech.org and here. Mine cracked in the middle on the bottom where you can't see it unless it is removed. It is a DIY job but don't be fooled by some of the posts that say "I did it in 10 minutes" etc.. That's crap! It is not a fun job but you can do it yourself if you are handy. Also most of the tanks now are for the 987 and don't have a premade hole for the dipstick so if you need the hole just drill it out before you install.

If it is the tank, sunset imports had them for $176 a while back. Check renntech for "special" pricing as they are a sponsor there.

Last edited by saaber; 02-14-2008 at 08:35 PM.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote