View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
RandallNeighbour

No pics. I just bought the aftermarket SS brake lines from gforcebrakes.com. :dance:

They appear to be very high quality though. I think they were $23 each or something like that. Weltmeister has some for a similar price.

Quick update on my brake problem:

Bought a $155 sleeve kit from Time Sert. They had a distributor in Dallas with the kit I needed and the correct sleeve lengths required.

Bought two new caliper bolts from Sunset for $2.18 each. In stock. BTW, a local giant corporation-owned stealership said they'd order them for me for $8.90 each plus freight to order them and it would be 2-3 weeks. Let me write this one more time just to vent:

I ABSOLUTELY LOATHE THE SONIC GROUP. JOIN ME IN BOYCOTTING THEM.

Thank goodness for the independent Pcar dealer that just opened on the north side. They only wanted $2.90 for the bolts, but didn't have them in stock either.

Saturday I will tackle drilling out the caliper bolt holder (or whatever it's called) and put in this way-cool insert gizmo and get my brakes bled and get my boxster home where it belongs.

Say a prayer for me and my car if you're reading this before Saturday.

New wheel carriers, which comes after this if it doesn't work, are $560 EACH from Sunset and 3 weeks away in Germany. Add to that a whopping bill for installation for the same amount and the nearly mandatory "what the heck, let's replace the wheel bearings, struts and oh yeah, buy some of those lowering springs I wanted to do one day" and boom! $3800 out of pocket for a stupid and seemingly simple brake job. :chicken:

Any boxster lookers reading this thread that are considering buying an old boxster, remember that the older, cheaper boxster you buy is going to cost you a LOT more to own over the long haul.

[I still love my boxster in particular though. It has become part of the fabric of my life, not another car I've owned in the parade of cars I've owned.]
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote