View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #17
cas951

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
I'm sticking with every 5k miles, which looks like it will also be my annual mileage. (I mainly use my motorcycle for transportation)

With respect to the RMS problems. I have a theory: oil that's even slightly too full may contribute to leaks. By too full, I mean within 1 bar of the full mark on the dash. I work on motorcycles for a living, and I've noticed that on the few dry sump motorcycles we work on, the oil level increases quite a bit when they're hot. So if I check one warm, it will be ok, but check it again all the way hot, and it's over full. The end result of an over-full bike is an over-pressured sump and oil oozing out everywhere that it can. I'm thinking this same thing (being more than 8/10ths full) could also be a contributing factor to the coolant overflow tank failures.
Overfilling any fluid systems will cause seals to leak therefore do not overfill. I'm fairly new in the Boxster world but when I read the manual it states that the Engine must be in operating temp when checking the oil level. Specially when using the gauge in the inst. cluster. I would take that statement even further. An Engine maybe in Operating temp but you have a 9 1/2 oil system which would take several miles for the oil to reach normal operating temp. I would check the level after you have driven several miles just to be safe.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote