View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
RandallNeighbour

97 Boxster - Expenses to date

I bought my 1997 Boxster with a 5 speed manual transmission and traction control in July of 2004 for $15,500. It had 82k on the odometer and from what I saw and heard, I knew it needed a new set of tires and probably a transmission, so I bought it knowing this price was under wholesale by a grand or so.

Found out the car had a new 2.5 engine put in at 70k or so when I got it home and to my mechanic. Very nice discovery the wholesaler did not know about.

Just for those who are thinking about buying a first year Boxster, this is what I've put into the car thus far... today it runs beautifully and I'm as happy as I can be, but it was not without some expenses and lots of time on Ebay to find parts cheap!

$200.00 - 4 spoke horn pad replacement - (horn went off at will so I had to do this)
$160.00 - Second key. $50 Key Remote head from Ebay, blank and programming from dealer
$500.00 - New instrument cluster ($400 on Ebay plus $100 to have it programmed at dealer)
$1825.00 - Used transmission purchase - Ebay
$375.00 - New Sachs clutch (parts only)
$180.00 - Brake pads for all four wheels
$900.00 - Labor for brake job, transmission swap and clutch replacement
$450.00 - Front control arm replacement (my mechanic did it for half of what the dealer quoted)
$125.00 - Oil change and filter change (bought the parts and had my mechanic do it)
$200.00 - Three spoke airbag upgrade - Ebay
$92.00 - Three spoke tiptronic wheel upgrade Ebay (200.00 cheaper than a non-tip wheel)
$52.00 - 5 speed shifter and boot from a 2002 Boxster - Ebay
$150.00 - Wind deflector and mesh grills - Ebay
$595.00 - New tires Kumho's from Tire Rack

$15,500 for the car
$5,804 for repairs and upgrades

$21,304 Total invested thus far. This is about blue book retail for a 1997. I do not know if having a new engine and transmission enhanced the value or decreases it. With all the RMS problems plaguing the earlier Boxsters, it might well improve or hold the value.

Oh yeah... last night, my mechanic replaced a post-cat O2 sensor that was causing rough idle and lousy fuel economy and he put in a used one he had in his garage, which saved me from replacing all four, which is what is recommended when one goes out.

I'm not complaining with this thread. I'm just making a public accounting of what I've put into my car since I purchased it, excluding insurance and fuel. It's been worth every penny as I did not have $21k saved up last year and could have easily paid $20k for a different Boxster with similar problems and had no money to spend on it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote