View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #12
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv951
Hello all,

My 02 986 S has some problem with the gearbox since yesterday. I get some grinding from 1st to 2nd, or 3rd to 2nd, especially when car is cold. I can't get second gear most of the times. The problem goes away when engine gets hot.
Is it a synchro issue ? Can this be repaired, or I need a new box ???
I recently bought an 04 986 Boxster S with 25k miles on the clock. Like you, I have experienced the same problem engaging 2nd gear when cold.

When changing up from first or down from third into second there is either no drive or a worrying grating noise as the gears try to mesh. It has been very hit or miss as to whether you can actually engage 2nd at all when the car is very cold in the first couple of miles or so. The problem progressively goes away after 10 minutes of running but has been happening every time I use the car.

After 300 miles of living with this I couldn't tolerate it any further and it went back to the dealer for investigation this week. After initially telling me it was normal, they have now advised me that it will need a new gearbox. Fortunately, I bought the car from a franchised Porsche dealer and the replacement is being covered by the Porsche extended warranty. Phew!

BTW, just to add insult to injury, the day before my car went back to the dealer it I noticed the reversing lights were staying on. This has been diagnosed as a faulty switch and will be changed when the new gearbox is fitted.

If you're fortunate enough to have a warranty talk to your Porsche dealer pronto. If not, it's probably worth changing the gearbox oil first and see if this improves matters.

As a footnote, I'm just amazed at how accepting some owners seem to be of what feels like a lousy piece of engineering.

Last edited by Archimedes; 01-04-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote